More Macklemore, less Robin Thicke.
And yet a huge percentage of Tumblr hates him. Not trying to be confrontational, but could someone please explain to me why this is?
Because he is a straight white guy and Tumblr isn’t always right.
Yup. A lot of people like to ignore all the good things he does simply because he is part of the privileged. Never mind that he flat out acknowledges this in Same Love. (“I may not be the same, but that’s not important.”)
BLESS YOUR SOULS.
BLESS YOUR FUCKING SOULS.
I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT STAND THAT FUCKING A LOT OF TUMBLR HATES MACKLEMORE.
BECAUSE HONESTLY, HE WAS EVERYTHING THEY WERE COMPLAINING WHITE PEOPLE AREN’T AND NOW THAT THEY GOT A FUCKING ROLEMODEL THEY SUDDENLY COMPLAIN?????? BECAUSE HE’S WHITE?????
Macklemore grew up privileged, yes, but he understands the inequality and the disturbing gap between rich and poor. He has a song called White Privilege:
"Hiphop started off in a block that I’ve never been to
To counter act a struggle that I’ve never even been through
If I think I understand just because I flow too
That means I’m not keeping it true, nope.”
"But as I’m blessed with the privilege, they’re still left with the scars"
AND HAVE YOU HEARD HIS SONG CLAIMING THE CITY???
"I grew up on Capitol Hill,
With two parents and two cars.
They had a beautiful marriage, we even had a swing set in our yard.
My mom didn’t have a job, because my dad made enough money that we could live comfortably and he could support us.
Now, he commute to Tacoma, so we knew we be good.
But then I realized everybody looked just like me in my neighborhood.
I go to school, which was diverse.
But indeed us, I got sandwiches and Capri Suns well my friends ate their free lunch.
It’s crazy trying to look back, cause when I was growing up
I didn’t understand the fact was there’s something called a social status.
And my black friends wanted my financial bracket.
And then my city’s divided,
From neighborhood to neighborhood
We’re polarized but we claim we’re progressive.
The police shoot in the hood but never once in my residence.
As a white person been shot at we’d stopped in a Lexus.
And to think that we have claimed that so much has changed”
OH GOODNESS ME, HE’S SUCH AN ASSHOLE. HE’S SO PRIVILEGED GOD.
HOW ABOUT A WAKE???
"Don’t wanna be that white dude, million man marchin’
Fighting for our freedom that my people stole
Don’t wanna make all my white fans uncomfortable
But you don’t even have a fuckin’ song for radio
Why you out here talkin race, tryin’ to save the fuckin’ globe
Don’t get involved with the causes in mind
White privilege, white guilt, at the same damn time
So we just party like it’s nineteen ninety nine
Celebrate the ignorance while these kids keep dying.”
Tumblr needs to hop down off it’s high fucking horse and instead of turning against a potential role model and ally to all that they’ve been fucking preaching about JUST BECAUSE HE’S PRIVILEGED AND WHITE, maybe make him an icon because he’s not rapping about disrespecting women. He’s making a small change. But because he grew up with a well structured family environment and he was able to afford everything he desired, he’s suddenly the enemy.
Macklemore hate is proof that Tumblr’s brand of militant social justice is just made up of a bunch of people with either a victimization fetish and/or a hateful, angry heart seeking acceptable targets, and they then proceed to poison the people that really just want to do good, ultimately mangling a good cause beyond recognition.
And 99% of people who complain about the first lyric of “Same Love” have never actually listened beyond that. Somebody tells them “The song starts with ‘when i was in the third grade i thought that i was gay’” and they start clutching their pearls because surely the whole song is just some straight dude making lgbtqa rights all about him and how he thinks because he thought he was gay when he was eight he knows all about it. And maybe it’s not the best way to word the beginning of the song, BUT IF YOU ACTUALLY LISTEN OR READ BEYOND THAT it turns out it’s a segue into talking about ridiculous stereotypes and preconceived ideas about sexuality and questioning why someone would think it was a bad idea to be gay in the first place. And then it goes on to discuss the homophobia inherent in the music genre he’s a part of and calling his peers out on slurs and derogatory language and hypocrisy in religion, and it beautifully features Mary fucking Lambert, and goddammit I had trouble driving home when I first heard it in the car because I was fucking crying.
Macklemore is a privileged individual who consistently and vocally acknowledges his privileges and strives to use it to do legitimate good, which is everything Tumblr claims it wants, but as soon as he starts, they scream for him to shut up. Because their need to rage and scream and hate and wallow in willful ignorance is more important to them than seeing actual change take place anywhere in the world.
BLESS YOUR SOUL FOR THIS
Reblogged from: chubbyfemmefatale
Originally posted by: its-heaven-nowadays
- coltcelestia reblogged this from shady-fish
- mitchells-hidey-hole reblogged this from shady-fish
- shakethesebeats reblogged this from astrolabeinthesky
- shakethesebeats likes this
- volsaire reblogged this from hellnogaycism
- astrolabeinthesky reblogged this from meaghan-brown
- anomalouschimera likes this
- liketheproverbialboss reblogged this from stephariffic
- mylifewriteninscript reblogged this from meaghan-brown
- who-the-eff-is-hank reblogged this from escharian
- coldrage likes this
- find-it-then-make-it-so likes this
- meaghan-brown reblogged this from nightvisioons
- devinofthestars reblogged this from echoemonroe
- stormfang likes this
- bedelia-bloodyknuckle reblogged this from stephariffic
- shady-fish reblogged this from shady-bacon
- thisfangirlsonfire reblogged this from bruhplz23
- iownyou33 likes this
- risaswace reblogged this from stephariffic and added:
- nine-leaf-clover reblogged this from escharian
- risaswace likes this
- stephariffic reblogged this from w-indigo-vertigo and added:
- aparadisehymm likes this
- escharian reblogged this from screamingfreak
- shes-pretty-tied-up likes this
- shes-pretty-tied-up reblogged this from effingcrazy
- effingcrazy reblogged this from anawkwardkhaleesi and added:
- effingcrazy likes this
- onemanarmyx reblogged this from thisisahumblr
- onemanarmyx likes this
- housewifestereotype likes this
- purritt2b likes this
- kaishalouise129 likes this
- oberynmartellie likes this
- screamingfreak reblogged this from nosherlockdasgay
- vanillacoconuts reblogged this from guldfiskn
- proudoflastplace likes this
- guldfiskn reblogged this from awyeeeboi
- fandomsabound reblogged this from lordofthecranes
- thegirlfromsubway reblogged this from catscrew
- weareoutnumbered reblogged this from mau5bitch
- thelionheartman likes this
- entoxica-el reblogged this from renainnocenti
- spectrum-clarity-zedd likes this
- befuddledbylife reblogged this from brettball
- gidif reblogged this from fetchmeapizza
- gugtin likes this
- edmvangelion likes this
- fabumau5 reblogged this from mau5bitch